Saturday, September 21, 2013

Crater Lake

Today I learned that Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the United States at 1,943 feet (I think). I may have known that already, but it's all good. We drove up to see the lake with my Sister and her family. Unfortunately, the tires on my car are bald bald bald and the ranger lady said that it was snowing up on the rim, so I decided to take Henry and go home, but Adam piled into Heather and Thomas's van and went out to the rim. It was super foggy so they couldn't see the lake, and it was freezing. Thankfully, the fog cleared for a few minutes so they could get one good view.

I also learned that there are spiky things along the lava flow area that are fossilized steam. When steam escaped through the earth after the lava flow through fumaroles, it hardened and fossilized along the path that the steam traveled through the ground. As the ground eroded, the fossilized steam remained as cool looking spires.

No comments:

Post a Comment