Saturday, August 31, 2013

Rowing

I just started reading "The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown.  It's about the University of Washington crew that wins the Olympic gold in Berlin in 1936.  Mostly so far it's just making me really wish I hadn't quit crew in college but here's an interesting tidbit. "A well-conditioned oarsman... must be able to take in and consume as much as eight liters of oxygen per minute; an average male is capable of taking in roughly four or five liters at most. Pound for pound, Olympic oarsmen may take in and process as much oxygen as a thoroughbred racehorse."

I just rowed at a not very vigorous pace for an hour and burned, according to my rowing machine, 612 calories. That's more than a seventh of a pound. Just think about how much college rowers would need to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment